Wednesday

Yummy Au Gratin Potatoes

I made some potatoes today to accompany the standing rib roast my mother is making for dinner tonight. It's a very simple yet delicious recipe. Here is how I did it.

10 or so red potatoes (enough to fill your large casserole dish 3/4 of the way)
44 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I bought a 32 oz. bad and a 12 0z. bag)
40 oz. sour cream (I bought a 24 oz. container and a 16 oz. container)
salt
black pepper

Thinly slice enough potatoes to fill your baking dish. (I like to slice them into about 1/8 inch rounds) Salt and pepper sliced potatoes liberally.

Add cheese and sour cream to potatoes. Add more salt and pepper. Mix well.
Sometimes at this point I will fill the dish 1/4 the way with milk for creamier taters.
(reserve 12 oz. of cheese to put over the top near the end of cooking)

Bake at 400 for 1 1/2 hours or until potatoes are very tender.

I like to cook them until the cheese burns a little around the edges. The burnt cheese and potatoes is the best part.

1 comment:

Annie Jones said...

I never thought of using sour cream in au gratin potatoes. Sounds really good!